Open to young people across Hampshire in three age categories:
4 to 7 years
8 to 11 years
12 to 16 years
In this year’s Hampshire Young Poets competition, we’d like you to write a poem on the theme of ‘home’. Whether home is a place or if it’s found in the people who matter to you most, we want to read about what the word means to you. Share your thoughts with us in a poem of no more than 14 lines. The winners and runners-up will be announced at an awards ceremony as part of Winchester Poetry Festival at The Arc, Winchester, on Saturday 14 October 2023.
Competition opening date: Friday 17 March 2023
Competition closing date: Sunday 31 July 2023.
First prize in each category:
£50 National Book Token
plus £50 P&G Wells Book Token for your school to spend on poetry books
Second prize in each category:
£25 National Book Token
plus £25 P&G Wells Book Token for your school to spend on poetry books
Third prize in each category:
£10 National Book Token
plus £10 P&G Wells Book Token for your school to spend on poetry books
Hampshire Young Poets is a partnership between Hampshire Cultural Trust, Winchester Poetry Festival and Hampshire Library Service. School prizes kindly sponsored by P&G Wells, Winchester.
How to enter
You can submit your poem here:
To enter by post, on a separate sheet of A4 paper, please provide the following information:
Age at time of submitting entry
Contact phone number
Where you heard about the competition.
Send your poem and entry sheet in an envelope clearly marked Hampshire Young Poets 2023: Home to:
Hampshire Cultural Trust
Hampshire SO23 8RB
• The competition is open to any young person in the three specified age categories who lives or studies in Hampshire.
• Entry is free.
• Entries can be submitted online or by post.
• The poem should be no longer than 14 lines, in English, be the entrant’s own work and should not have been published elsewhere, including online, and not have won any other competition. You may enter more than one poem if you wish.
• Closing date is midnight GMT 31 July 2023.
• No changes can be made once entries have been submitted.
• The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
• The winners will be contacted by email or post and announced at a ceremony at the Arc in Winchester on Saturday 14 October 2023. Unfortunately we are unable to contact entrants who have not been successful.
You can visit the competition page on Hampshire Cultural Trust website
In partnership with Hampshire Cultural Trust